Each year, the second Sunday in May is set aside to celebrate mothers for all that they do. There are a number of ways you can show your mom how much you appreciate her. Think brunch, wine events, walking the beach, a little competition and other ways for you to enjoy time in Santa Barbara with mom on May 9. Consider these ideas when making plans to treat your mother on this special day.
Puttin on The Ritz
- The Ritz Carlton, 8301 Hollister Ave., Goleta
- Your mom deserves more of the finer things in life, so consider time at The Ritz with her.
- May 9, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Treat mother to breathtaking coastal bluffs, paired with a decadent brunch at Angel Oak at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara. Curated by master chefs, guests can indulge in à la carte specials, little ones can create personalized cards for mom at the card-marking station, and adults can indulge in an elevated Bloody Mary Bar and champagne specials. Reserve online and the cost is $100 each.
- 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Surprise Mom with an oceanside brunch retreat at The Bistro at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara. Their festive Mother’s Day menu features irresistible dishes. Make a special toast to Mom and cheers with a stop by the Aperol Spritz and Mimosa Bar. Reserve online.
- May 9, 1:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- The Painted Cabernet, 1229 State Street, Santa Barbara
- This year, celebrate Mother’s Day with paint and wine to get the creative juices flowing. Treat mom to an in-person workshop at The Painted Cabernet in downtown. At 1:00 p.m., join fun-loving artists to create a customizable bouquet design, or opt for an evening class at 5:30 p.m. to paint a floral window on canvas. The cost is $35 each and you can sign up online.
- May 9, 10:00 a.m. to noon
- Arroyo Burro Beach County Park, 2981 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara
- Show mom how much you appreciate the environment and join her for a stroll along Arroyo Burro Beach. This is your time together to join a volunteer group dedicated to clean up. It’s a unique way to support her love for the outdoors and to contribute in a socially distant way to keeping the beach beautiful. Volunteers will met in front of the blue Watershed Resource Center building to sign in. Face masks are required. You can wander on your own along the beach and surrounding areas for your self-guided clean up effort. The event is free.
- May 1 through 9, 2021
- Webster Miramar, Eva Fehren Fine Jewelry Trunk Show, 1759 S Jameson Ln., Montecito
- Take mom on a shopping experience she’ll never forget at the stunningly gorgeous Rosewood Miramar Beach. The Webster Miramar invites you and your mom to shop an expanded assortment of jewelry, featuring Eva Fehren’s initial charm collection. The show is open to the public to browse and shop. https://www.santabarbaraca.com/events/eva-fehren-fine-jewelry-trunk-show/
Indulge in Brunch, Tea or Supper
- Scarlett Begonia, 21 W. Victoria Street, Santa Barbara
- May 9, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Indulge mom with an extravagant three-course brunch, starting with a pastry basket, followed by a choice among shrimp cocktail with house made cocktail sauce, pimento cheese with organic vegetables and Deux bakery banquette, avocado toast, organic deviled eggs, or a kale Caesar salad. Finally, finish with the main course ranging from a classic eggs benedict to a brioche French toast and beeler bacon. Reserve online.
- May 9, 3:00 p.m.
- Enjoy a traditional afternoon tea service, with organic sandwiches, scones and cakes, fair trade organic teas. It’s a perfect way to wind down your weekend and you can enhance your experience with champagne or sherry for that extra special touch for mom. Reservations required.
- May 9, afternoon supper
- Treat mom to a beautiful three-course supper. Start with house made pimiento cheese dip with organic veggies and Deux bakery baguette, followed by an organic herb quiche served with mixed greens and a red wine vinaigrette. Finish off the night with a Floating Island that includes poached meringue, creme anglaise, caramel sauce and fresh berries. Reserve online.
- May 9, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 1221 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- If you’re feeling particularly competitive, consider bringing mom and others in the family out for an afternoon of Puzzling Adventures. The interactive game is a cross between a scavenger hunt, an adventure race, and an informative self-guided tour. Each adventure consists of a series of locations that you are guided to where you are required to answer questions or solve puzzles to receive your next instruction. You can start at any time you like and end whenever you choose, depending on whether you speed through in hopes of winning, or take your time and enjoy the fun. All you need is your own mobile device and an Internet connection, and of course your competitive spirit. You can play as a small or large team, with friends or relatives. Individual $19.99 tickets can be purchased online.
- May 6 – May 9
- Pachamama Sacred Medicines, Main, Santa Barbara
- Join mother for a four-day sacred medicine retreat that includes mother and father medicine circles. The experience includes Pratismarati Sacred Breathwork, silence meditation, juicing and a safe space for your process. The four-day experience costs $777 each and reservations are online.
- May 9, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Santa Barbara Zoo, 500 Ninos Drive, Santa Barbara
- For the animal lovers or anyone who enjoys spending time at the zoo, bring mom to an after hours party, complete with picnic dinners and a happy hour. This special time is considerably less hectic and a chance to see the quieter side of the zoo. It’s a unique experience that includes late train rides and a leisurely connection with the animals as they settle in for the evening. Prices range from $14.95 to $19.95. Reserve tickets online.
Here’s another great idea. Rent a limo and take Mom to one of these special events. And while you’re in the limo, ask Mom a few of these engaging questions below: Below are 14 questions to get the conversations started in the right direction:
- How many serious relationships were you in before you settled down (if you did)? What were they like?
- What was your hardest breakup like?
- Growing up, what did you think you wanted to do for a living?
- Who were/are your role models? Who did you look up to when you were younger? Who do you look up to now?
- What’s the best trip you’ve ever taken?
- Is there a moment or event that radically changed the way you saw the world?
- What do I need to know about our family’s medical history that could affect my health or life?
- What was the day I was born (or adopted) like?
- What was your wedding day like? (If she got married)
- What do you want your funeral to be like?
- What was life like for you at my age?
- Were you ever sexually harassed or sexually assaulted?
- Do you have any health issues you’ve never told me about?
- What advice would you give to your younger self at age 20? 30? 40?
About Sammy’s Limos and Tours: Sammy’s Limos provides Santa Barbara limousine service for Mother’s Day and other events in May. The company offers Santa Barbara party buses, Santa Barbara winery tours, and Santa Barbara airport transfers. Visit the website at https://SammysLimos.com for information on limo rental cost. “Like” the Facebook page to receive updates on Santa Barbara limos services. Call 805-963-8294 to book a limousine for Mother’s Day.